Read A Dooryard Full of Flowers by Isabel Miller Free Online
Book Title: A Dooryard Full of Flowers|
The author of the book: Isabel Miller
ISBN 13: 9781562800291
Edition: Naiad Press
Date of issue: January 1st 1993
Format files: PDF
The size of the: 21.35 MB
City - Country: No data
Loaded: 2168 times
Reader ratings: 3.9
Read full description of the books:
One of Beth's books which I saw today after I'd finished my previous book and thought, well that looks short enough to be a quick read. And luckily I was right!
1. A Dooryard Full of Flowers - made me really want to read Patience and Sarah! I loved the narration of the first half especially, the simple country chap who describes the ladies so vividly and fondly, without quite understanding who they are. It's comfortable and cosy to read.
2. Hope Deferred - the one in the navy, short and interesting.
3. A Change of Heart - the one with the mother-in-law; as above.
4. Tildy - quite too short to get into, or get a feel for the characters.
5. The Outsider - the one with the gay mother. I liked the narrator a lot and would like to read more of her life!
6. Strangers in Camelot - the story was interesting, but the way it was written I found a little jarring. It was as if someone was writing a letter to Isabel Miller, describing a tale that she ought to write into a story. Kind of a strange idea.
7. Paid Up - I just couldn't get into it! My eyes seemed to glaze over and I had no idea who anyone was after half a page. Too many characters to keep track of.
8. Beginning - not really a great ending to the collection, alas. Another where I couldn't say what it was about five seconds after finishing.
On the whole, while I mostly liked the writing, the execution of these stories was just so quiet - in a couple of cases that did work, but in general they were just not engaging enough. I was usually interested, but rarely compelled to read on.
Download A Dooryard Full of Flowers ERUB
Download A Dooryard Full of Flowers DOC
Download A Dooryard Full of Flowers TXT
Read information about the authorIsabel Miller was the pen name of Alma Routsong, an American novelist best known for her lesbian fiction. She graduated from Michigan State University in 1949 with a degree in art. Her first two novels (A Gradual Joy and Round Shape) were published under her own name, with the later works under the pen name Isabel Miller — a combination of an anagram of “Lesbia” and her mother’s maiden name.
In 1969, Isabel Miller published her best known book, A Place for Us, printed in an edition of 1,000 copies paid for and sold by the author. With this title, based on a true story of a 19th-century couple from New York state, Miller began her career as lesbian novelist. In 1971, the novel won the first annual Gay Book Award of the American Library Association. Under its later title, Patience and Sarah, Miller’s novel became one of the most cherished lesbian love story of all time.
Isabel Miller died in Poughkeepsie, New York on October 4, 1996, shortly before her last novel (Laurel) was published.
Reviews of the A Dooryard Full of Flowers
Add a comment
Download EBOOK A Dooryard Full of Flowers by Isabel Miller Online free